Friday, October 22, 2010

The Smoking Gun

Ok, the latest gadget that I'm food fascinated with is The Smoking Gun from the folks at Polyscience.

As someone who is a student, read: kindergarten student, in the world of molecular gastronomy, I've been playing around with sous vide and other new age cooking techniques for quite some time.

But when one of my culinary friends mentioned that he had been able to dramatically alter the flavor profiles of common dishes just by adding in flavored smoke I was intrigued.

I mean, I live in Texas, so if there is one thing we know how to do its smoke meat. But what about food you really don't want to cook....just have that smoky flavor?

Like, for instance, raw oysters.

Recently I participated in a little gourmet food covered dish supper with one of my great friends Lelia Hamilton. For my contribution I made a smoked oyster shooter -- fresh gulf oyster that I had infused with cherry wood smoke from the Smoking Gun.

It was really, really good. I'm not a big fan of "smoked oysters", but a "smoked raw oyster" -- that was cool.

Anyway, although it has the potential to be one of these kitchen gadgets that becomes a one hit wonder, you might want to give this little jewel a chance.

Just think how impressed your wife would be if she uncovers an upside down cereal bowl filled with apple wood smoke plus macaroni and cheese. Just might be a new cult hit and wind you up on Food Network.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Magnolia Dr,Stephenville,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment